Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Seven Tendencies of Individualism (p. 88-89)

The culture we live in impacts/affects the way we view ourselves (our identity) without our awareness. The following beliefs are commonly held by many people in Western cultures when it comes to identifying who they are. While it is unlikely that anyone holds all of these tendencies exactly as they are stated, it is likely that you recognize yourself and/or others in several of them. These beliefs place too much value on the individual and not enough value on a concern for the common good. For that reason, the traits of individualism conflict with the way Jesus desires us to live our lives and relate to others.

I am free - I am responsible for myself. The only authority I accept is the one that protects my freedom.

I have rights - Rights protect my freedom and dignity.

I am equal - I have the same claim to freedom and rights as everyone else. Government must protect the people and the people must have a say in decisions that affect them (i.e. government).

Only reason binds me - Things have to be proven to me or I may not accept them. Observation and experience “empirical knowledge” are essential in the search for truth.

I am isolated from everything - I treat the world as an object. I see everything from my own perspective, and in an attempt to maintain objectivity, I try to minimize the influence of relationships and feelings.

I am master of the Earth - The Earth is just another object to be used and exploited by me for my benefit and happiness. In the same way, I am master over my own body.

I am godless - In a world where everything is centred on me, God has no place except at the limits of my life when I need him most (i.e. sickness, death, natural disaster). God is squeezed out of a culture that operates out of self-interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment